Learn more about Valley Perinatal Service’s Diabetes in Pregnancy Program Center of Excellence.
Gestational Diabetes in Pregnancy: We Will Help You Plan
During pregnancy, it is especially important to be aware of your blood glucose levels. Sadly, babies born to women with diabetes are at a higher risk of birth defects. High blood glucose levels pass through the placenta, which cause irregularities in growth. A plan is necessary to protect both you and your baby.
To help in the planning process, our maternal-fetal medicine specialists, along with our certified nurse practitioners, provide comprehensive counseling on nutrition and diabetes. We tailor our services to fit the needs of our patients by providing personalized meal plans and highly specialized treatment plans for preexisting diabetes and gestational diabetes in pregnancy. This approach gives patients the support they need to make any necessary nutritional changes.
In addition, our program offers one-on-one counseling sessions and an easy to follow written plan for nutritional management as well as diabetes management. We offer one-time consultations or complete management throughout your pregnancy. The effects of diabetes can prevent the success of a pregnancy, but the team at Valley Perinatal is specially trained to offer support and advice when needed.
We Will Be Your Team
Our Diabetes in Pregnancy Program utilizes a team approach in caring for our patients. Our team will assist you in managing diabetes and avoiding potential complications with preexisting and gestational diabetes. We offer a variety of services personalized to your unique needs, including:
Caring for your health before becoming pregnant is known as preconception care. The goal of this consultation is to check for any potential risks that you or your baby might have during pregnancy. During this consultation, you can address any issues or concerns about becoming pregnant, including diet, vitamins and physical activity. We will discuss your previous personal or family history that could pertain to your pregnancy. After conception, we offer examinations, and consultations to continuously check on the health of your baby.
The coordination of your healthcare providers is a vital part of our operation. We work together with your other physicians to create a perinatal care experience that is stable and easy to manage.
Whether you have preexisting or gestational diabetes, it is important to understand how it can affect your pregnancy. Becoming informed can help you better manage the condition now, as well as help in the future.
Ongoing Glucose Monitoring and Management
Continuous monitoring of glucose is crucial when working to keep the growth of your baby stable and consistent.
Insulin can be a useful tool when dealing with diabetes. The proper use of this medication can be vital to the growth of your baby. We will help you with:
- Initiation of insulin pump and continuous glucose sensor
- Advanced training of insulin pump and glucose sensor
One-On-One Nutritional Counseling
During the counseling, our registered dietitians cover:
- Gestational diabetes
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Insulin pump training and management
- Adult and pediatric weight management
- Food allergies and food intolerance meal plans
- Pre- and post-bariatric nutrition education
- Cardiovascular disease
- Poor weight gain in pregnancy
Specialized Obstetrical Surveillance
We offer specialized obstetrical surveillance, which includes:
- Perinatal Consultation: Meet one-on-one with one of our healthcare providers to learn more about pregnancy. Our team is here to support you during your pregnancy.
- Growth Ultrasound: This exam will allow us to assess the growth of your baby at different points of your pregnancy.
- Fetal Echocardiogram: This procedure is similar to the ultrasound as it allows us to have a better look at the structure and function of your baby’s heart, while still in the womb. The echocardiography uses sound waves to create a picture of the heart that can be analyzed for anomalies.
- Non-Stress Testing: The non-stress testing is a simple, and painless procedure that monitors your baby’s heart rate when he or she is resting and moving.
- Biophysical Profile: A biophysical test measures the heart rate, muscle tone, movement, breathing, and amount of amniotic fluid to determine the health of your baby.
Our team is dedicated to creating the best possible outcomes for mothers and babies. Ask your Ob/Gyn about a referral to Valley Perinatal Services or contact us with any questions about our diabetes program.